tattoos
Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Shake yo' assonance

An experiment in assonance

I know I'm old so know I'm bold
I sold those rolled oats whole 'n cold
You a doll fo' sho' I'm told
I hold tha gold but sold my soul

My goal: control, console, patrol
But so slow my role I blow mo' dough
I sold blow like snow don't grow below
But show no mo' bro - quid pro quo

One thing is clear. I am no rap lyricist. But I do love listening to lyrics with an assonant tone. One of my favourite examples is this: Renegade - Jay-Z feat. Eminem. This is the song that Nas said Eminem "killed (Jay-Z) on your own shit". Eminem's assonant verses are amazing. I would really like to understand how to create those sort of tones better in my writing.

For those interested - here's the first part of Em's first verse
:
Since I'm in a position to talk to these kids and they listen
I ain't no politician but I'll kick it with 'em a minute
Cause see they call me a menace; and if the shoe fits I'll wear it
But if it don't, then y'all'll swallow the truth grin and bear it
Now who's these king of these rude ludicrous lucrative lyrics
Who could inherit the title, put the youth in hysterics
Usin his music to steer it, sharin his views and his merits
But there's a huge interference - they're sayin you shouldn't hear it
Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit
Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish
But I'm debated disputed hated and viewed in America
as a motherf***in drug addict - like you didn't experiment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger