tattoos
Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Blueprint 3

I've had it for two days now, and I've managed to give it a good couple of listens. So far, here are my favourite tracks:

Empire State of Mind (feat. Alicia Keys)
(production: Shux)
It's an old school-beat with a soulful hook. A love song about Jay's home city. Verse one is about the neighbourhoods, the streets, the heart of the city. Verse two is the entertainers, the nights out, the sports stars and big money. Verse three is about the seductive and dangerous nature of the city, which can turn the best intentions into dark desires.
Sample line:
"Came here for school, graduated to the high life, ball players, rap stars, addicted to the limelight,
MDMA got you feeling like a champion, the city never sleeps... better slip you an Ambien"
(YouTube link)

Real As It Gets (Feat. Young Jeezy)
(production: The Inkredibles)
I haven't heard much of Young Jeezy apart from a couple of guest appearances, but based on this, I think I'll check him out. This is a smooth song reminiscent of the old posse cuts where rappers would take turns saying how awesome they are. Except this one isn't stale.
Sample line:
"Set sail, I used to duck shots but now I eat quail,  I'll prolly never see jail,
Each tale contains more of the truth, because the statute, allows me to go into detail."
(YouTube link)

A Star Is Born (feat. J Cole)
(production: Kanye West)
Jay takes us through a list of hip-hop stars. He drops almost as many names as the average Game song. It might sound boring, but he does it so well, and it will test your knowledge of hip-hop. I've been trying to think of a major mainstream rapper who doesn't get a mention. I guess Cam and Master P don't count? I could actually quote the entire song because I love it. But I'll just include this bit.
Sample line:
"Wayne did a millie, 50 did a millie, Ye too, but what Em did was silly,
The white boy blossomed, after Dre endorsed him, his flow on 'Renegade'? F***ing awesome, applaud him"
(YouTube link)

D.O.A (Death Of Auto-tune)
(production: No I.D.)
It's been out for quite a while, but hearing it in the context of the album has given me a different appreciation for it. Jay isn't some old man crankily ripping into the new kids on the block. He is clearly still a lyrical force. The album makes that clear. So in that context, this song takes on a stronger meaning. Jay wants the industry to know he thinks being trendy and gimmicky is a quick way to an irrelevant grave. He wants rappers to produce quality music, because that's what will be successful.
Sample line:
"This is anti-Autotune, death of the ringtone, this ain’t for iTunes, this ain’t for sing-alongs
This is Sinatra at the opera, bring a blonde, preferably with a fat ass who can sing a song"
(YouTube link)


Run This Town (feat. Rihanna and Kanye West)
(production: Kanye West)
This is Jay with two of the biggest stars from his Rocafella label announcing the formation of Roc Nation, his new company. Rihanna and Kanye are massive stars and here they are as part of Jay's new business venture. It's a pretty big co-sign. The lyrics aren't anything majorly special, but I love the chorus and the production. Kanye's verse is actually quite poor but I'll forgive him because I love the beat.
Sample line:
"We are, yeah I said it we are, this is Roc Nation, pledge your allegiance,
Get your fatigues on, all black everything, Black Cards, black cars, all black everything"
(YouTube link)

I'm enjoying the other songs, but these are my current favourites. Also you should check out this great video Rhapsody did to promote the album. It's Jay recreating all of his classic album covers in one short video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger