tattoos
Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Saturday, April 11, 2009

"There a flared roll model"

As someone who makes a (partial) living with words (...'n shizz), I get very annoyed when I see professional publications do things like this.

"If you're looking for a roll model for the perfect basketball player, look no further than Chris Paul."

ARGH!!!! Chris Paul, while being a great basketballer, is NOT a sandwich model! He does not get a bread roll, put some ham and cheese and sweet mustard pickle in it, and then display it for every one to see, like "ooooh, check out my roll, the one that I am modelling." No, Chris Paul is a role model, as in, the model for what you would want in that role aka job aka position aka how freaking hard is it to pick that up, sub editors??? Crikey.

Or this one:

"Ronaldo is there to add some flare to the hard-working midfield."

So now I get a mental image of Cristiano Ronaldo wearing tight pants that spread out at the bottom. OR, of him stepping onto the field, pulling out a gun, and shooting a red rocket flare into the sky to alert rescuers of his location. WHAT I SHOULD BE SEEING, is a mental image of Cristiano Ronaldo showing his flair on the field by trying tricks with the ball and being creative in the way he plays soccer. Again, not hard to notice.

I don't care too much about the there/their/they're thing, because I figure people are stupid. And real journos don't stuff that up. But when I see the other ones... argh.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger