tattoos
Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

808s & Heartbreak

So you've probably been wondering where my review is. If you haven't been wondering that, well... you probably didn't read my old blog, which was 50 per cent Kanye, 30 per cent Arrested Development, and 20 per cent miscellaneous beautiful women.

Anyhoo, so yes. I bought it at JB Hi-Fi for $18, went home and played it through.My thoughts
- This is a singalong album. It's much easier to sing along to than his previous rap albums. And it's lots of fun to do it, as well.
- Kanye is sad. And when he's sad, everyone knows about it. Only 'Amazing' and 'Paranoid' are particularly upbeat. The rest are more reflective.
- The production is good. Over-the-top sometimes, but good to listen to.
- I think this is a cathartic experience for Mr West. Next year he'll be back with his swaggalicious fifth album, and he'll be back to being Mr Arrogant. Lyrics like "So you got a new friend/Well I got homies/But in the end it's still so lonely" and "See I know my destination but I'm just not there" show he's not nearly as sure of himself as he was. He lost his two emotional touchstones - his mum and his fiance - and now he's not as sure of himself.
- The songs I can't stop singing are 'Paranoid', 'Robocop', 'Say You Will', 'Amazing', 'Heartless', and 'Love Lockdown'. So yes, this is a pop album, with singalong choruses. A sad pop album, but still.

There was a list going around the internet the other week like Top Ten Reasons Kanye West is a Douche. It was... not all that funny, and most of the stuff they quoted was inaccurate. But whatever, Best Week Ever did a response and linked to a hilarious video Kanye commissioned for a song off his last album, featuring farmers rapping to his song and doing some square dancing. It's awesome.

Bottom line
- If you didn't like Kanye West before, there is a chance you will like this new stuff. I recommend checking out 'Paranoid', 'Heartless', 'Street Lights' and 'Say You Will'.
- Kanye will return to rapping. I think this is a diversion into pop that will influence his next work, not define it.
- I will end up singing my way through this entire album in no time. It's catchy, clever, and sad.

Bonus hilarious link - Clooney vs Jackman!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger