tattoos
Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Friday, February 12, 2010

Texas forever, Street!

I never understood the appeal of the bad boy girls wanted to fix. "He's a tool! He'll only hurt you!" It was always frustrating seeing some girl go for a damaged guy in a belief that she was the one who could save him. It was the nurturing instinct, I guess. And a girl's idea that by saving him he would be forever grateful and devoted to her.

Of course we all know what happens. He is inconsistent, lets her down, and eventually breaks her heart. She gets cold and hard, and later on some nice guy has to work very, very hard to get her to open up again. I remember hearing a guy speak about how women become cunning, cold and calculating because men have not lived up to their responsibilities to them. It rings true.

Anyway, like I said, I never understood the appeal. Until I watched season one of Friday Night Lights. And I saw Tim Riggins.
A damaged youth with an alcohol problem, no reliable parents and a clear need to be loved, he also happens to be extremely attractive. This is irresistable to women. They want to help him, fix him, give him the love he clearly never had from his parents. They see the potential in him. And, I have to say, watching him in that first season I saw it too. I just wanted to put my arm around him and say "Riggins, let's just hang out and let's see what we can do to make things better." If I was a woman, I would have also said "And then let's kiss lots."

It's the same feeling I got with Tyra Collette, who clearly has some potential in her but keeps being held back by circumstances.
I am so glad I still have three more seasons to watch to see how these characters turn out. There is a lot of passion out there about this show. When the writers' strike and timeslot changes threatened the show, NBC did a deal with DirecTV just to keep it running. Clearly some people high up have a love for it too.

If you want a show that will lift your emotions, make you laugh, make you feel very, very deeply for some characters - watch this show. It is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger