tattoos
Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Chapter 41.7: Simmering Hot Stove

I’m pleased with what Omar Minaya has accomplished already this off-season. I’m fine with the Paul LoDuca acquisition, though I’d like to know who he actually gave up for him. I’ve heard mixed reports on the kid pitcher that’s reportedly in the deal, and I’ve heard nothing about who the other player is. LoDuca has skills that should work well with the staff. His throwing isn’t much better than Piazza’s was, but he probably won’t bounce as many balls into the outfield or off the infield grass (though I don’t really know that, and he had a mediocre to poor fielding percentage).

Perhaps the Mets will be able to use Castro enough that whatever funk LoDuca goes into after the all-star break (.191 average in September last year) can be off-set. I’m assuming he gets tired. Might not be the problem.

This pitching staff is not final, though, as the recent rumors of Kris Benson moving on to Kansas City (a.k.a. baseball purgatory) suggest. One name I’m not hearing much this winter is Aaron Heilman. I was impressed with his second half last year – especially for the reactions batters had. They hated facing him. I hope Omar keeps this guy. Starter, set-up man. Whatever he’s doing, he’s going to be an important part of the staff.

On another note: Good luck, John Olerud. Not a bad career for a guy who kept his helmet on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger