tattoos
Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Monday, June 28, 2010

Amsterdarn!

My first trip into Amsterdam... and I love it!




First impressions? It's cool.  It feels like New York because there's so much going on, and so many cultures present, but the people are friendly, open and lively.  I might even go so far and say "jovial".  One of my American friends later observed - everyone seems really happy here. I went with some friends to a pub to watch Holland play Japan (and you call it football here!)... and there was a child's birthday party going on (yes, kids in the bar!) and when they sang happy birthday everyone chimed in and sang along and cheered.




My first taste of culture shock came when I went to the bathroom and was greeted by a Toilet Token Taker.  Picture this: a man behind a table taking 50 cents for use of the bathroom! OMG!!! I laughed.  But the good news is he also has a plate of breath mints that you're welcome to, as well as a few bottles of aerosol deodorant that you can use!  






This street just near the Red Light has plenty of bars and weed.
Later I went into the city and did some shopping and touring around.  Of course I had to see the red light district (sorry - no photos - it's illegal to do that!).  It was early enough in the day that it wasn't really busy.  It felt awkward.  Women in lingerie sitting on a stool winking and beckoning men as they pass by.  These women aren't models by any means... and most of them look bored out of their minds.  Many are on their cell phones.  In my mind we have prostitution too - in Vegas it's everywhere.  I'd rather see them strutting in their heels on the strip than in a little glass cage on their cellphone.  Not that I'm advocating for either.

There was plenty of Orange Mania for the game!

I didn't spend long on my first trip - but enough to have some good laughs while people watching.  We went to the "Dam" which is a big square and an easy meeting place.  There was one man on a microphone who kept saying "Hello?" "Hello?" "Hello?"  "I'm over here.  I like attention".  And another guy had 4 dogs on a leash - and two more in a baby stroller!  
Au Pairs hangin out at the Dam



Well between the people, the canals, the shops, the architecture and sights unseen I knew I wanted to come back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger